Exhibiting Artist Information
2017 Application Information
Applications are NOW OPEN for the 37th Annual Arts Fair on the Square!
We use ZAPPlication for our online applications. It's free to register for ZAPP and easy to use.
All artists are encouraged to apply! If you do not wish to apply online, please contact us.
Email email@example.com if you would like to be added to our artist mailing list.
Please join us in welcoming our amazing jury! Our jury features members of the Bloomington community including art professionals, art educators, gallery owners, artists, and craftspeople. Artist applicants are scored by the jury based on originality, craftsmanship, presentation, and marketability. We are incredibly pleased to have such strong jury members dedicated to maintaing the highest quality of art and craft at the 37th Annual Arts Fair on the Square!
2017 Exhibiting Artist Information
2017 Application Schedule:
|Applications Open||December 1, 2016|
|Application Deadline||March 17, 2017|
|Jury Review Begin||March 19, 2017|
|Jury Review End||March 26, 2017|
|Application Results Emailed||March 31, 2017|
|Acceptance and Booth Purchase Deadline||April 17, 2017|
|Booth Assignments Emailed||May 17, 2017|
|Show Date||June 17, 2017|
$25 Jury Fee per Applicant
$180 Show Fee per Booth
- Artist booth spaces are exactly 10’x10.’
There is NO additional space planned around most booth spaces for storage. If you require additional space beside or behind your booth, please contact event manager to find the booth that best meets your needs.
- If interested in a double booth, please contact event manager.
- Same day setup begins at 6:00 AM.
- Breakdown occurs from 5:00 PM to 6:00 AM.
- Due to the underground sprinkler system, ground stakes are not permitted if on grass.
- Please do not cover the ground if on grass.
- Electricity is not available. Generators are not permitted.
We asked Bloomington hotels to offer special rates for you and are currently in progress working with them to get you the best deals for 2017!
Arts Fair on the Square preferred lodging:
- Springhill Suites
- Special artist rate of $125! Click here to book.
- Located in downtown Bloomington, Springhill Suites Bloomington is two blocks off the square. We offer free hot breakfast, free WiFi, parking garage ($7 daily rate), 24-hour fitness center, indoor pool, and a custom lobby bar with fireplace and lounge areas. Our spacious suites are 25% larger than other hotels in downtown Bloomington and feature separate living areas with pullout sofas and flat-screen TVs, microwaves, mini-fridges, and iPod docking stations.
- Grant Street Inn
- Mention you are participatin in Arts Fair on the Square to receive a special rate.
- The Grant Street Inn, a bed and breakfast located in the heart of Bloomington four blocks from the courthouse square features 40 distinct rooms, each decorated with a personality all its own. This historic bed and breakfast offers comfort and luxury and is sure to have a room that suits your needs and preferences.
6:00 - 9:00 AM
Please check-in at the Bloomington Playwrights Project Information Tent to pick up your artist information packet, receive your complimentary coffee and snack, and be shown to your booth. Booth numbers are marked on the concrete. Booth edges are marked with chalk on the street and with flags in the grass on the square. Please remember to bring a picture ID with you when you check-in.
Loading zones are located on Kirkwood Avenue (5th St) and Sixth Street between College Avenue and Walnut Street from 6:00 - 9:30 AM and 5:00 - 7:00 PM. Both Kirkwood Avenue and Sixth Street between College Avenue and Walnut Street will run ONE WAY during Set Up and Tear Down. Sixth Street will run East to West ONLY and Kirkwood Avenue will run West to East ONLY. As you park to unload, please do not block any booth spaces. Parking on Kirkwood Avenue and Sixth Streets is reserved for loading and unloading ONLY.
Please park elsewhere AFTER unloading and BEFORE setting up. In an effort to make load-in and load-out as smooth as possible, we request that you limit your time in the loading zone to no more than 20 minutes. Parking is NOT permitted on Kirkwood Avenue and Sixth Streets between College Avenue and Walnut Street from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM during the fair. Parking on Kirkwood Avenue and Sixth Streets between College Avenue and Walnut Street is subject to city parking regulations before 5:30 AM and after 7:00 PM.
Free parking is available at the Bloomington Convention Center and in the 4th Street Garage (Garage Art) all day. The Bloomington Convention Center in located on College Avenue between 2nd and 3rd Streets. The Fourth Street Garage is located at the corner of 4th and Walnut Streets one block south of the Courthouse Square across from the John Waldron Arts Center. Please see the Downtown Bloomington Parking Map for garage locations. Bloomington also has metered parking spaces throughout downtown and directly around the Courthouse Square. Meters are active from 8 AM to 10 PM Monday through Saturday. The city WILL ticket vehicles with expired meters. Arts Fair on the Square and the Bloomington Playwrights Project cannot be held responsible for parking tickets.
6:00 - 10:00 AM
Please move your vehicle out of the loading zones AFTER unloading and BEFORE setting up in order to make load-in and load-out as smooth as possible for all participants. Due to an underground sprinkler system on the courthouse lawn, ground stakes are NOT PERMITTED. Please plan on an alternative way to secure your tent. Please be kind to the grass and do not cover it with any flooring materials, mats, or rugs. Generators are not permitted. Electricity is not available.
5:00 - 7:00 PM Please help us make the teardown and load-out process as smooth as possible. Please do not move your vehicle into the loading zone until AFTER your booth is completely packed up. Please limit your time in the loading zone as much as possible as we will have many artists in need of the space when you are finished.
Rules & Reminders
- - Exhibitors must be directly involved in the design and production of the work they exhibit.
- - Only work representative of the images submitted during the application process may be exhibited. Arts Fair on the Square reserves the right to request removal of any work that differs from the type and category accepted as well as any inappropriate work on display.
- - Manufactured items are NOT permitted and will be disqualified from the jurying process. If discovered during any part of the show, the Event Manager may ask that manufactured items be removed from display. Arts Fair on the Square reserves the right to remove exhibitors from the fair if they have misrepresented their work or been accepted under false pretenses during the jury process.
- - Arts Fair on the Square takes place from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Please stay for the duration of the fair if at all possible. If you need to leave early, please see a volunteer or contact the information tent so that we can make arrangements for your load-out.
- - All booths must be attended for the duration of the fair. If you need a break, we have volunteers available to watch your booth. Members of the staff, board of trustees, and volunteers will be checking with you throughout the day to see if you need a break or if there is anything else we can do for you. Please do not hesitate to come to the information tent if you need assistance of any kind.
- - The following items are unfortunately NOT permitted or available at Arts Fair on the Square: ground stakes, generators, electricity, and ground coverings on grass (ground coverings are permitted on concrete.)
- - Arts Fair on the Square reserves the right to digitally document the event and use the images for public relations, print media, and archival purposes.
Artist Sales Tax
Each artist is responsible for submitting Indiana State Sales tax, currently 7%. Read about the current Indiana Sales Tax requirements and submission information at the Indiana Department of Revenue New and Small Business Education Center here:
The State of Indiana requests that artists to fill out a BT-1 Business Tax Application form in order to file Indiana sales tax and receive a Retail Merchant Certificate. If you do not have a Federal ID Number or Business Name, simply use your name as the Sole Proprietor. Most artists are considered Seasonal Operators. Business Tax Applications are usually processed within 48-72 hours and a Retail Merchant Certificate mailed out shortly after the application is approved. After you receive all of this information, you will be able to file your show taxes through their online system. Here are a couple of useful links:
Although we have done our best to include current and updated information, please check to make sure that this information has not changed before applying and submitting your sales taxes.